So I'm sat here on the eve of my first exam and I admit I may have left it a bit late to be revising but hey I'm a student stupid decisions are part of my life. Anyway, the stress of this has got me thinking. I came across a Phil Collins song a while back, some of you may know it, the song in question being "I don't care anymore".
A song composed of angry lyrics aimed at Phil Collins failed first marriage. So you're probably wondering how can a 22 year old student who has never been married relate to a song about a global superstars failed first marriage? Well its not so much about the topic of the song in question but rather the message it portrays. Now at first glance this may seem rather rash. Should a final year Biomedical Student simply not care anymore? I firstly wouldn't say the message this song portrays is that on not caring but rather a light at the end of the tunnel when life throws a curveball at you, to use the American saying. It's that old cliched adage "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade" and it has given me pause for thought.
Every time I get stressed and downtrodden whilst revising a put the song on my iPhone with my earphones in to shut out the world and just sit there and listen. It reminds me that in a few weeks this will be all over and then the next chapter of my life begins. A life I can aim to improve on and build on. It reminds me that I have my whole future ahead of me and that all my wishes and dreams are still possible.
This may seem like a message far from the message that Mr Collins intended when writing this song but I like to think that he would be happy to know that music he put out there is reaching people even if it is with a different message. I shall leave you with the words most powerful for me in this song and whilst may portray a negative message in the terms I have discussed I can only see them as positive.
"You can tell everybody 'bout the state I'm in
You won't catch me crying 'cos I just can't win.
I don't care anymore I don't care anymore"
No comments:
Post a Comment